Pages

Friday, December 18, 2015

Vermicomposting

My vermicomposting efforts used to be comprised of two separate projects. The first was a single worm in its own bin. The object of the project was to see how much material a single worm could process on its own and how much worm castings it would create. The results were impressive, but unfortunately I recently discovered the worm had died. I don't know why, but it did. I guess maybe old age. Anyway, I decided to close down the project.

The other project was a more traditional vermicomposting undertaking. It consisted of multiple worms in a single bin, which I had dubbed: The Breeding Bin. I had included the updates for the breeding bin in the article about the Single Worm Vermicomposting Project.  Since that project is now closed down, I felt it would be prudent to start a new article.

The rest of the updates for this project are located in The Single Worm Vermicomposting Project.


UPDATE: December 18, 2015

It's been raining for a few days, due to a typhoon, so the compost in the garden bed outside has been getting drenched pretty good. I trimmed the two bush/trees out there and put the leafy branches over the beds to try to keep them from getting saturated.

Today has been pretty dry, so when I went out there this afternoon to turn the soil/compost I discovered a baby worm. I went inside and got my breeding bin and tossed the baby in. I quickly found another and then an adult. As I worked my way through the bed I found one or two more babies and a second adult. I've lost track of how many I have in the breeding bin now, but it has to be close to ten, if not more.

No comments:

Post a Comment